The most fun and popular game till date. Dating back to 1980, Pac-man marks it’s 37th birthday this May 2017.
Here are some fun facts about Pac-man:
- Toru Iwatami, the creator of Pac-man, ordered pizza. He took a slice, looked at his food and Pac-Man was born (or Puck-Man as he was originally known in Japan).
- The New York Museum of Modern Art has an arcade exhibition about the gaming legend Pac-man, and claims the game series is the most iconic ever to exist.
- In Japanese, the name means ‘pakupaku’, which translates as to the sound of eating or munching.
- In 1980, when it was introduced to America it sold over 100.000 units in its first year of gameplay, leading to another equally successful game Ms Pac-Man (1981).
- When Pac-Man sadly dies, he has a sparkly dissolve. This effect was inspired by the showering of fireworks in the night sky.
- Pac-Man was also the symbol for Google’s homepage once. It was a playable doodle and it gobbled up over 5 million hours of people’s work time!
- It is not surprising then that Pac-Man lands itself into the Guinness World Record books. It is classed as ‘the most successful coin game’.
Doodle using everyday objects: Orange Marmalade